On 20 December 1920, a group of selfless and devoted lay disciples of Sri Ramakrishna Math, Belur Math, established an organisation named VIVEKANANDA SOCIETY, in a house at South Park, Jamshedpur, allotted to Late Sri U.L. Mukherjee, the Founder Secretary of the Society, by The Tata Iron & Steel Company Ltd. The Society was later shifted to its present location at L-Road, Bistupur, in 1924 and was affiliated to the Ramakrishna Mission in 1927 as one of the branches of the Mission and was renamed as RAMAKRISHNA MISSION VIVEKANANDA SOCIETY, JAMSHEDPUR.
The Ashrama was sanctified by the visits of two of the direct disciples of Sri Ramakrishna: Swami Abhedanandaji Maharaj in 1923, who laid the foundation stone of the Library Building which still exits and also serves as a Puja Mandap during Durga Puja and Kali Puja, and Srimat Swami Vijnananandaji Maharaj in 1936. The Society has been making steady progress since then and has now carved a niche for itself in the sphere of spiritual, cultural, educational, medical and social activities in the state of Jharkhand.
Even though Education is the main service activity of the Society, Religious, Spiritual, Social, Cultural, Medical, Relief & Rehabilitation activities also find considerable emphasis. The main thrust, however, has consistently been laid on educational activities, because according to Swami Vivekananda education is a means to spiritual unfolding.
The monastic members along with lay members administer all activities of the Society.